President Obama says value of higher education should be stressed to students
Bush Administration says that American higher education has become “increasingly risk-averse, at times self-satisfied and unduly expensive.”
Unemployment figures are still high and many high-tech companies are unhappy about the lack of highly trained workers. College-drop out figures is very high as well!
- About 40% of students who attend a 4-year university are not graduating.
- About 40% of students who pursue a 2-year degree either graduate or transfer.
- 1/5 of full-time community college students do not return for a 2nd year
According to the Bush administration, literacy among college students has declined in the past decade.
Lets take a look at what we are getting for our money. Not only the students are affected but also the federal government.
- Student who graduate with loans are more than $25 thousand in debt
- The federal government pours $140 billion annually into grants and loans
President Obama thinks post-secondary schools should put more emphasis on not only the cost of the education but also the success of those who do graduate.